SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Request for Auto-compile.

Last post 02-06-2012 2:57 AM by LouArnold. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-05-2012 2:23 AM

Request for Auto-compile.

"Continuous compile" was requested back in 2006. I would like to re-iterate the request. This is a very convenient feature because frequent manual rebuilds is a significant is a big disruption in the mental "picture of what's there and where I'm going" when I code. It would be easy to trigger it on a code edit. The same is done in almost every IDE I've used, and is the hallmark of a mature IDE.

Please make this an urgent priority.

• 02-05-2012 8:33 AM In reply to

Re: Request for Auto-compile.

Sorry, it is highly unlikely that this will make it onto the pri1 list any time soon.

Chris

• 02-05-2012 10:29 AM In reply to

"Continuous compile" as done by most Java IDEs requires a compiler with incremental compilation - otherwise your CPU would be constantly at 100% usage if we started a normal build at every code edit.

Neither Microsoft's nor Mono's C# compiler support incremental compilation, and we'd prefer not to spend our resources on building another C# compiler.

Also, incremental compilation is more difficult in C# than in Java, as there are many more ways how modification of one class can change the compilation of an unrelated class (think extension methods). So no, this isn't going to happen.

What might happen in SharpDevelop 5 timeframe instead is that we will do some background error checking (syntax checking, most common semantic errors) - but based on our code completion engine (NRefactory), not the actual C# compiler.

However, while NRefactory 5 is pretty good finding the most common errors, it's not good at producing understandable error messages. So I'm currently thinking about underlining those errors (in a different color than normal compiler errors/warnings) without providing any error description (no tooltip or entry in the errors pad).

• 02-05-2012 8:30 PM In reply to

DanielGrunwald:

"Continuous compile" as done by most Java IDEs requires a compiler with incremental compilation - otherwise your CPU would be constantly at 100% usage if we started a normal build at every code edit.

Neither Microsoft's nor Mono's C# compiler support incremental compilation, and we'd prefer not to spend our resources on building another C# compiler.

Again, truly "continuous compile" was not my goal. But a recompile on code edit was. Microsoft VC# of several vintages manages to recompile a line of code when its changes. My typo errors certainly disappear when I correct them, and so do other errors. I don't know if that's the definition of incremental compilation or not, but I know I don't have to manually click a button or use a function key. So I'm surprised when you say MS doesn't do it. Having said this, I don't want you spend resources on building another C# compiler either. No need to reply here; it is what it is.

• 02-05-2012 10:46 PM In reply to

• siegi44
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-31-2006
    • Steyr, Austria
    • Posts 806
    • Team Members

LouArnold:
    Microsoft VC# of several vintages manages to recompile a line of code when its changes.

That's because Visual Studio uses a modified version of the C# compiler internally, or more likely, parts of the C# compiler that do the syntax and semantic checking without having to compile the whole project and without producing IL output.

regards,

Siegfried

• 02-06-2012 2:57 AM In reply to

siegi44:

LouArnold:
    Microsoft VC# of several vintages manages to recompile a line of code when its changes.

That's because Visual Studio uses a modified version of the C# compiler internally, or more likely, parts of the C# compiler that do the syntax and semantic checking without having to compile the whole project and without producing IL output.

regards,

Siegfried

--------------

And its that modified C# compiler that you/we don't want to spend time building. I assume Eclipse and Netbeans work the same way.

Sometime I must look at how difficult that is to do.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)