SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

ILSpy search funtion

Last post 08-13-2015 1:28 AM by cateyes. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-05-2011 4:12 AM

ILSpy search funtion

I've just known ILSpy (I used to use .net reflector, but it's not free now), and tried, look very good, although its features still not as rich as .net reflector. Particularly, I found that the search functionality provided by ILSpay can only search types and memebers, but if it can search in all the code, including method bodies, just like what the .net reflector's code search plug in does, it'd be really fantastic :)

Filed under:
  • 05-05-2011 11:36 AM In reply to

Re: ILSpy search funtion

Searching through the decompiled code is an interesting idea. However it would be quite slow, as we would have to decompile all types in all assemblies - that would take several minutes.

More specific searches (e.g. "search for constant value") could be done much faster as they wouldn't require full decompilation.

• 05-05-2011 1:14 PM In reply to

Might not need to decomplie all assemblies. The Code Search add-in for .NET reflector 6.7.0.3 which I currently use, works this way: when you select an assembly, then run the Code Search, after you type some words to search, it searches through the whole assembly to find all matches in the code, no need to search other assemblies other than the selected assembly itself. When you select a namespace, type or specific method in that particular assembly, it search through the selected namespace, type or the selected method. So the performance isn't that bad, but the functionality it provides is really useful and powerful.

Another thing is, in the disassembled code window it'd be also very handy if it can provide ctrl+F to search the code window as well :)

Filed under:
  • 05-06-2011 1:55 PM In reply to

cateyes:
    Another thing is, in the disassembled code window it'd be also very handy if it can provide ctrl+F to search the code window as well :)
     I agree!

• 07-31-2013 2:15 AM In reply to

Another idea regarding the search feature. After we search something in the search window, the search result displays. It'd be good to see the assemblies, in which the found objects are contained, also included on the info list :)

• 08-18-2014 6:36 AM In reply to

This is very useful and flexible feature, I'm so keen to see it will be implemented one day, and just functions like the Code Search add-in for .NET Reflector :)

• 08-13-2015 1:28 AM In reply to

cateyes:

This (the above one) has been availabe now, awesome. Now can we have the below feature please? it'll make ILSpy even much more handy and better :)

cateyes:
    Might not need to decomplie all assemblies. The Code Search add-in for .NET reflector 6.7.0.3 which I currently use, works this way: when you select an assembly, then run the Code Search, after you type some words to search, it searches through the whole assembly to find all matches in the code, no need to search other assemblies other than the selected assembly itself. When you select a namespace, type or specific method in that particular assembly, it search through the selected namespace, type or the selected method. So the performance isn't that bad, but the functionality it provides is really useful and powerful.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)