Welcome to the Beta 1 Preview of SharpDevelop 4.0!
To get one question out of the way – why a preview of a Beta? Currently, .NET Framework 4.0 is still in RC stage, and thus we do expect that only a limited number of you have it installed on your machines – but we want to get your feedback early to give you a solid Beta once Framework 4.0 hits the streets.
Beta 1 also means that we are not feature-complete: notable broken areas are the WPF designer, and performance is not optimized yet (a prime example being code completion).
Please do report problems in our forums: we want to hear when installation breaks, when an exception stops you from getting work done, or when a feature doesn’t behave the way you expected it to. The more early interaction, the easier it is for us to adapt the feature set.
Without further ado, what’s new in SharpDevelop 4.0:
- A complete text editor rewrite from Windows Forms to WPF. The new text editor is called AvalonEdit, and like its Winforms predecessor, it is rehostable in your applications. Articles on that as well as its architecture can be found at http://www.avalonedit.net/
- The frame (workbench) is now WPF too. We did not rewrite existing addins to be WPF-only, but many will switch over the course of time.
- C# 4.0 code completion is a work in progress (there are also some new C# editing features such as “Introduce method”)
- You are welcome to try out the WPF Designer (remember that NotImplementedException is going to be your best new friend), Data Tools and Debugger Visualizers
- Usage Data Collector – please turn it on! We want to know which features are being used. Expect us to talk more about this feature in the future, as it is entirely reuseable and will come with a reporting Web frontend application. Free & open source usage analysis for your .NET applications!
SharpDevelop 4.0 Beta 1 Preview
The Beta 1 Preview is built against .NET Framework 4.0 RC – you must install it first. Download
SharpDevelop can take advantage of the following software if you install it:
Our primary means of support is via our Web-based forum (please do not email team members directly unless they advise you to do so in the forum)