SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Adding a new project datasource

Last post 05-29-2009 11:22 PM by prandall. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2009 11:16 AM

Adding a new project datasource

Hi

I'm a long time Delphi developer, my work is mainly database applications for the enterprise, but I am now being forced to move to C#.  :(

I tried using ms visual C# express but found out that it only supports local and mssql datasources which renders it practically useless for the type of work I do, I'm doing this on my own steam and at the moment, cannot afford the full visual studio.

So I decided to give sharpdevelop a try and I have to say, I'm very impressed.

Now for the problem :

I'm trying to build a very basic database application just to learn how things are done, but when I click on "Datasource" in my databinding component, an empty box comes up with "none" in it, nothing else. In VC# express , there is an option to "add project datasource" is this not supported in #Develop ? or am I just being a complete noob ? either way, I'd appreciate the advice.

Fullsized image : http://reidspace.co.uk/sharpdev.jpg

Thanks for your time.

• 05-13-2009 1:59 PM In reply to

Re: Adding a new project datasource

I personnaly put it code side.

I also suggest you to work with LinQ. You ca use DBLinQ if you want to do LinQtoSql.

• 05-13-2009 2:24 PM In reply to

Hi graveen, thanks for your response, but are you saying it cant be done in the IDE ?

For me, RAD is not a luxury, its mission critical.

In delphi it takes me about 20 seconds to connect to my database and show a dataset in a grid.

• 05-13-2009 3:36 PM In reply to

In the current incarnation of #develop, db connections need to be setup in code. No >clickety-click< :-(

However, deeper integration of db functionality is in the works for future releases.

• 05-13-2009 3:39 PM In reply to

BernhardSpuida:

In the current incarnation of #develop, db connections need to be setup in code. No >clickety-click< :-(

However, deeper integration of db functionality is in the works for future releases.

Ok, so long as I know and dont spend time trying to do something that isn't implemented yet.

Thanks for the help and keep up the great work.

• 05-29-2009 11:22 PM In reply to

I dont mind adding the Datasource programmatically but how do you get it to show up in the controls. Ie., when u seleect a combobox how do you get it to be configured from the little triangle.

so you can sleect display members, value menber and what not.

Or is that little triangle just a place holder for future funcitonality

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)