SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

how debug ASP.NET Program?

Last post 05-23-2008 10:25 AM by FruitBatInShades. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-22-2006 7:45 AM

how debug ASP.NET Program?

Hi everyone, i'm new in this forum.  

I'm Create ASP.NET Application in SharpDevelop(Version is 2.0.0.1591)

To Run, SharpDevelop  gives me this Information:

Project is configured as dll and no execution command is specified.
    You can specifiy an execution command in the project options.

How Debug in SharpDevelop!

thank

• 12-22-2006 9:31 AM In reply to

• heureka
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-22-2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 7

Re: how debug ASP.NET Program?

I would also like to know... Maybe SharpDevelop can't hook up the aspnet_wp.exe process? In project properties - Debug you can set Start browser in URL to e.g. http://localhost/application/ , but it will not fire the debugger. At least not for me.
  • 12-22-2006 1:48 PM In reply to

Debugging ASP.NET is not supported as SharpDevelop's debugger is unable to attach to existing process. And the core team doesn't support ASP.NET (we have enough other things to spend our time on); the only input from the community we got so far was that ASP.NET project template.
  • 12-23-2006 2:09 PM In reply to

As Daniel explained, SharpDevelop's debugger cannot attach to processes so you cannot debug your ASP.NET pages with IIS. You can however use Cassini instead. You just need to configure the "Start external program" and the "Command line arguments" in the project properties (Debug tab).
  • 01-02-2007 3:57 PM In reply to

• DavidAlpert
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-10-2005
    • Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    • Posts 76

You can also develop your code assemblies in #develop then use DbcClr.exe (comes with the .NET SDK distributions) as a debugger that supports "Atttach to Process.."

Then you point a browser to your app (must be hosted on your local machine of course) to start up the ASP.NET worker process (aspnet_wp.exe) and use DbcClr.exe's  "Attach to Process" feature to monitor that process.  Open a file (cs, vb, even aspx, etc), set a breakpoint, then trigger that code functionality through your browser and DbgClr will stop.

I have used this setup extensively as i prefer #d to Visual Studio and code the HTML/CSS part of ASP.NET by hand.

Filed under:
  • 01-08-2007 7:55 AM In reply to

I use Cassini for debugging purposes - creating the small server project among the asp project (in the same workplace of course). In the server project I am creating the Server class instance (from the Cassini assembly). Since then I have debugging feature - probably everything u need can be acheved this way...

Regards,

• 01-13-2007 11:17 AM In reply to

That sounds awesome! I think you might want to contribute to the code and pack the web server as an inprocess compoonent in #develop so it could debug asp.net properly? I think a lot of people would really need this feature. I wanted to use #develop because VS 2005 does not integrate well with svn and I am using MonoRail, which the free VWD does not work because it wont build dlls into single file (the hell asp.net 2.0 project structure...)
  • 01-24-2007 9:44 PM In reply to

• heureka
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-22-2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 7

Roland Żerek:
    I use Cassini for debugging purposes - creating the small server project among the asp project (in the same workplace of course). In the server project I am creating the Server class instance (from the Cassini assembly). Since then I have debugging feature - probably everything u need can be acheved this way...

Roland: That sounds great! Can you attach a sample asp.net project using the cassini web server for debugging purposes? I would really appreciate it.
  • 01-29-2007 4:28 PM In reply to

heureka:

Roland Żerek:

Roland: That sounds great! Can you attach a sample asp.net project using the cassini web server for debugging purposes? I would really appreciate it.

No problem. Here's simple page (generated from #D template) running on cassini.

Filed under:
  • 01-29-2007 4:32 PM In reply to

goodwill1120:
    ... I think you might want to contribute to the code and pack the web server as an inprocess compoonent in #develop so it could debug asp.net properly?

Being honest I didn't think about it - current solution is enough for me since I can develop ASP with #D :) However I can thing about real solution when having free time...

Filed under:
  • 03-11-2007 10:46 AM In reply to

• heureka
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-22-2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 7

Roland Żerek:

No problem. Here's simple page (generated from #D template) running on cassini.

Excellent. Thanks Roland.

• 02-13-2008 11:01 AM In reply to

Has anyone still got a demo zip?  I've tried setting up a project with cassini and it works but my code in the web app does not stop on breakpoints.  Stuck!

• 02-22-2008 12:03 AM In reply to

• heureka
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-22-2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 7

I've put toghether an ASP.NET Debugging sample solution. I don't know if this is the best way of doing it but it works for me.

AspDebuggingTrayIcon

How to debug ASP.NET applications in SharpDevelop

/Erik 

• 03-27-2008 12:06 AM In reply to

DanielGrunwald:
    Debugging ASP.NET is not supported as SharpDevelop's debugger is unable to attach to existing process. And the core team doesn't support ASP.NET (we have enough other things to spend our time on); the only input from the community we got so far was that ASP.NET project template.

For the love of God, man! .NET is for the Web!  If you do not support ASP.NET then #D is for desktop applications?  Or the core team have an alternative to ASP.NET?

• 03-28-2008 1:23 AM In reply to

Erik,

Thanks a lot for posting this, works great for me.  Take care.

Regards,

Kyle

Filed under:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >