SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Got error to open a c# project "The tools version "14.0" is unrecognized"

Last post 12-12-2017 10:07 AM by Understood. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2017 10:58 AM

Got error to open a c# project "The tools version "14.0" is unrecognized"

Hi @all,

i want to open a c# project from github:

https://github.com/iotaledger/iota.lib.csharp

I wanted to open the project with sharpDevelop and got an error:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't load file IotaCSharpApi.csproj under $path\IotaCSharpApi.

Check the file permission and the existence of that file.

The tools version "14.0" is unrecognized. Available tools versions are "2.0", "3.5", "4.0".  C:\tmp ew\iotaLibCsharp\IotaCSharpApi\IotaCSharpApi.csproj

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not quite if it is a bug or if its the user causing the error :)

Regards and thank you in advance,

• 12-05-2017 8:50 PM In reply to

Re: Got error to open a c# project "The tools version "14.0" is unrecognized"

It's neither a bug nor user error. The currently released SharpDevelop version predates MSBuild version 14 and so doesn't know how to use it. You can tell SharpDevelop how to use it if you're willing to download the source code and make some small changes to it and build your own custom version (which is what I did). Instructions here.

Or a slightly less drastic solution, albeit one which you'd need to apply to each project you want to build using MSBuild 14, is to add the following to your project file

<CscToolPath>$(MSBuildProgramFiles32)\MSBuild\14.0\Bin</CscToolPath>

Simon

• 12-06-2017 2:14 PM In reply to

Ty very much.

Meantime i created myself a project from the given files with sharp develop. But unfortunally it turns out that sharp develop does not support C#6. So i replaced all the lines using C#6 statements (such as $ operator). But it seems like the needed libraries uses even more C#6 syntax which seems not doable for me in a proper time.

As i understood, there is no and will be no support for C#6? (If i dont implement it by myself).

• 12-08-2017 8:48 PM In reply to

Yes, the code editor doesn't understand new language features introduced in C# version 6, because it didn't exist when SharpDevelop 5 was released.

The SharpDevelop project seems to be dormant at the moment because the principal developers who've done such great work on it in the past are all busy on other projects. So at present there is no plan to add support for C# 6, but that doesn't necesasarily mean it's not going to happen. SharpDevelop is an open source application after all, so there's nothing to stop anyone implementing features that they'd like to see and contributing them back to the project. I've even got a couple of my own I'd like to contribute if I can find the time to get them into shape.

I think (although I'm by no means an expert in the subject of developing IDEs, I'm just a loyal user of SharpDevelop and a big fan of it) that what we really need here is to remove NRefactory (which in my simple mind is SharpDevelop's own implementation of something which parses and understands your source code as you type and helpfully formats it and offers you autocomplete suggestions and go to definition and things like that) and replace it with Roslyn (Microsoft's implementation of the same thing, which is now open source). I gather this is rather a big job, but once it's done we should get things like support for C# 6 language features for free. And for C# 7, 8, 9 etc when they arrive, which should make maintaining SharpDevelop a lot easier going forward.

Any takers?

Simon

• 12-12-2017 10:07 AM In reply to

Thank you for your detailed answer at this point. Thing is that i would need a protable C# IDE to get a little deeper into C# and some projects implemented in C#.

That being said: I am not a big expert in C# what makes me incapable to really contribute to this great project. Otherwise i would possibly try myself to implement some of the needed features and provide my solution in github. With my level of knowledge (C#) the solution wouldn't be even close to a measurable contribution to this project,.

I will surly keep my eyes on this project and hope a solution will be implemented by some more qualified person.

Regards

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)