SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Properties windows sets blank

Last post 07-18-2017 5:10 PM by Carlos Cantabria. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-03-2017 9:57 PM

The Properties windows sets blank

This is the first time that this problem happens to me in about half a year (that is, the time that I have been using SharpDevelop). I am for example with the focus on a commad button, and then you see at the right side of the screen the Properties window, then you click on a property and you can change that property for that control. However, when I click on a property, automatically the properties windows sets blank, as well as the Tools window on the left side.

I am thinking of uninstalling the SharpDevelop and re-install it again, unless someone may help me. I will give you a clue: this is happening to me just in the moment after having tried to make a database connection.

Someone may help me? In case no one can help me, do you recommend me to uninstall SharpDevelop and re-install again?

Thanks for your attention.

• 05-04-2017 3:31 PM In reply to

Re: The Properties windows sets blank

Here you see two pics:

On this one you can see the screen just before I click on the name of a property at the right side:

http://subefotos.com/ver/?cb360c7f39e8d354d2a4604390c62ec2o.jpg

On this other one you can see the screen just after clicking on the name of a property at the right side:

http://subefotos.com/ver/?39b85c8bea99243f7866178eccf8a113o.jpg

• 05-05-2017 5:32 PM In reply to

I have uninstalled my SharpDevelop 4.2, and I have just installed SharpDevelop 4.4, but I still see the same problem again. Am I the only one with this problem?

• 05-27-2017 6:19 PM In reply to

I've never come across this particular issue I'm afraid. But is there any reason why you're using 4.2 and 4.4 when 5.1 is the latest stable version? It's worth trying 5.1, this may be a bug which has been fixed in that version.

[EDIT] There's no need to uninstall one version of SharpDevelop before installing another, different versions can happily co-exist on the same machine. I've got 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5.1 and a beta of 5.2 installed on mine, and the only issue I've had with it is slight confusion about which version will launch if I double-click a .sln file.

Simon

• 06-25-2017 3:24 AM In reply to

Hi my friend!

Thanks for trying to help me :D

I have downloaded 5.1, and the problem that I see is that the Source and Design tabs are missing. How can I switch between Source and Design? :(

• 06-25-2017 8:29 PM In reply to

I guess SharpDevelop doesn't recognise the file you're editing as one for which it should give you a designer tab? If you post the content of the class file here then we could work out why SharpDevelop doesn't give you a designer for it.

Simon

• 06-30-2017 10:35 PM In reply to

Hello again!

In first place, the forms that I have developed for which I can't see the Design Tab, I can see the tabs however on the version 4.2.

In second place, once that I open them with the new version, in spite of not appearing the Source and Design tabs, however I run the files and they work alright!

In third place, when I click on the option of making a new solution, I can't either see the Source and Design tabs even when I haven't still  written anything.

Several years ago someone posted the same problem with a previous version, and the response was that it would work alright with C#, but not with VB. Could it be that thing?

Thank you very much for your past and future help! :)

• 07-01-2017 7:20 PM In reply to

Well, I've just learned something, versions 5.1 and 5.2 of SharpDevelop don't appear to offer the forms designer for VB projects, although the 4.x versions did. I'm not sure why this is, and I'd never noticed before because I always work in C#.

Building an existing project will still work even if the forms designer isn't available, because SharpDevelop actually uses MSBuild to build the project (and I presume Visual Studio does the same although I can't be sure because I can't see its source code), and you could continue to develop and build and run your UI by editing your .Designer.vb files in the text editor, but I appreciate that's a far from perfect solution.

You could convert your project to C# (tools menu -> convert to), although this also appears to be something which exists in the 4.x versions but not the 5.x versions of SharpDevelop, and I appreciate that you may have reasons for wanting to use VB rather than C#.

You could consider using Windows Presentation Framework instead of Windows Forms. This would probably involve a significant rewrite of your UI. SharpDevelop also doesn't have a forms designer for WPF, instead all the UI elements are defined in XAML files, which is an XML based format, a lot more intuitive to edit than the .Designer files used by Windows Forms. And if you choose this route then I strongly recommend researching the MVVM (model - view - view model) pattern, which separates the view (the controls that the user sees, their size, layout, colour etc) from the view model (the information that the view needs to display).

Or you could stick with VB and Windows Forms, in which case I'll offer the observation that your form looks very busy, it's got a lot of child controls, any of which could be doing something which is causing the forms designer to throw a wobbly. Are you able to group any of them into logical units of functionality which could be moved into a separate UserControl class? This will initially mean editing the Designer.vb file, picking out the bits of code which relate to the controls which you want to move into a UserControl and cutting/pasting them into the UserControl's .Designer.vb file, and replacing them in your main form with the code to reference the UserControl instead.

If you do this using a 4.x version of SharpDevelop then once you've got all the right code into the UserControl's .Designer.vb file you'll be able to edit that UserControl in the forms editor, and you'll also be able to create a test form which you can drop your UserControl onto, in order to test whether your UserControl does what you intend it to do.

Breaking your UI up into smaller bits like this should help you to isolate the bit which is causing the problem.

Hope this helps, and let us know how you get on.

Simon

• 07-18-2017 5:10 PM In reply to

Once again, thank you very much for your help, Simon.

Well, the thing is that I dedicated many many hours to learn the code of VB.NET, event the tricks and so, and learning C# in order to have the same knowledge of it as I have of VB.NET would mean for me quite a long time. I don't rule out this option in the middle term, but I do for the short term.

According to the other solution that you propose me, it's beyond my knowledge, I like algorithmics but I don't know much about these interfaces.

Anyway, by the moment I will continue using the 4.4 version of SharpDevelop, while there there is not a new version of SharpDevelop on which I can see the Design tab.

Thank you very much ;)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)