SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Syncronizing Scroll For Two TextView

Last post 05-03-2017 6:07 PM by MKrug. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2017 9:04 PM

• MKrug
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-13-2017
    • Kansas City
    • Posts 7

Syncronizing Scroll For Two TextView

I am trying to implement a solution that contains two TextView side-by-side. The left pane contains a file's content and the left pane is comments and automatically generated text based on the content of the left pane. I am using a GridSplitter between the two panes. This creates two vertical and horizontal scrollbars for the two TextView. Since the content on the right is a response / generated by the content on the left; I need for both views to be in "sync" with each other. Meaning when I scroll down on the left pane, I need the right pane to also scroll down. Anyone ever done this? Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

• 04-29-2017 10:15 AM In reply to

Re: Syncronizing Scroll For Two TextView

As long as you have as much text-lines left and right, it should be possible.

But why nog work with a grid, where left and right are textboxes, but each text (left) and comment (right) have their own grid-row.

• 05-01-2017 9:02 PM In reply to

• MKrug
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-13-2017
    • Kansas City
    • Posts 7

I do actually use a Grid, with two TextEditors inbedded in the Grid; with a GridSplitter between. The TextEditor windows are used so that "decoration" is easier. However, previously it was 1 TextEditor containing a file's content, split into two by drawing a rectangle (using Rect) background renderer, with visual text overlayed onto the rectangle, then the left portion only occupying the space that does not contain the rectangle background; through measures such as Offset = TextArea - Rect.

Problem is that they now want to simultaneously scroll, print, & search, while being able to adjust the right pane on the fly / runtime. Printing a background image BESIDE text is challenging but obtainable (although I do not know why you would want to go through all that trouble, when you can just change it to a TextView). But, you can not "search" on a background image. Not to mention, adjusting the right pane is easier with a GridSpitter than a drawn visual that I would have to add handles to somehow.

So, I needed to convert the right panel to a text view instead of a background with text, put a GridSplitter between, then figure out how to simultaneously scroll both windows, print both windows, and have the ability to search both windows. See my dilema now?

I posted each challenge seperately on the board (Scroll Two Panes, Print Two Panes, Search Two Panes), but really it is one huge problem / initiative.

Any ideas? Anything?

Currently I have the structure as follows:

<DocumentContent>

-----<Grid>

----------<DockPanel>

---------------<Grid>

--------------------<TextEditor Grid.Column="0">

--------------------</TextEditor>

--------------------<GridSplitter>

--------------------<TextEditor Grid.Column="1">

--------------------</TextEditor>

---------------</Grid>

----------</DockPanel>

-----</Grid>

</DocumentContent>

• 05-03-2017 6:07 PM In reply to

• MKrug
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-13-2017
    • Kansas City
    • Posts 7

I have managed to get the scrolling of two Textviews to be syncronized. And, the solution was so simple I wanted to kick myself for not trying it before. I simply wrapped everything in a ScrollViewer. Hid the vertical scrollbars using ScrollViewer.VerticalScrollBarVisibility, so that only the ScrollViewer's Scrollbar could scroll vertically. I left the HorizontalScrollBarVisibility alone so that if one of the two views was wider than the pane I did not have to deal with wrapping, since I put a GridSplitter in-between the two panes. That way the user could adjust the width of the views without affecting the text. This appears to be working well actually.

Structure:

<DocumentContent> 
         <Grid>
            <DockPanel>
                <ScrollViewer >
                     <Grid>
                     <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                        <ColumnDefinition />
                        <ColumnDefinition />
                     </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                           <TextEditor Grid.Column="0" ScrollViewer.VerticalScrollBarVisibility="Hidden">
                           </TextEditor>
                           <GridSplitter  MinWidth="5" MaxWidth="10" ShowsPreview="True" DragIncrement="5" />
                           <TextEditor Grid.Column="1" ScrollViewer.VerticalScrollBarVisibility="Hidden">
                           </TextEditor>
                     </Grid>
                </ScrollViewer>
            </DockPanel>
        </Grid>
    </DocumentContent>

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)