SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Active Maintenance?

Last post 07-05-2017 11:18 PM by Michael White. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-28-2016 8:29 PM

Active Maintenance?

I was wondering if this library is being actively maintained? It's been almost 6 years since the last release, and there are a number of issues and pull requests written up against it.

If you are looking for someone to help out with this, I am interested.

-Neil

• 03-30-2016 8:55 AM In reply to

Re: Active Maintenance?

I have asked David Pierson to chime in (so far however he hasn't). However, help is definitely appreciated.

Chris

• 03-30-2016 12:20 PM In reply to

I havent heard from David in a long time, several years in fact.  I am essentially inactive and have been for some time.  Somehow I just havent quite managed to break away totally :-)

Someone keen to do this is always welcome.

• 03-30-2016 12:28 PM In reply to

In that case - John, got some spare time to help Neil get started? (Neil - you can get in touch w me via christoph.wille at gmail.com)

Chris

• 03-31-2016 5:04 AM In reply to

Hi guys,

I used to have spare time to work on #ziplib, and I would really love to still be able to do that. But I have a new job which sees me often starting at 6 a.m., working til 9 or 10 at night, and on a bad day, both. Weekends often lose a chunk of time to it also.

If Neil wants to take over, I would be delighted.I would be happy to hang around and do a little on the side.

Neil - I will dig out my notes and forward them to you if you are interested in it. Please let me know.

Best regards

David

• 03-31-2016 9:55 PM In reply to

Hope the job is worth it!  Been there so I know its part of the landscape sometimes.

• 03-31-2016 10:32 PM In reply to

David is closer to the raw end then I am / was, this might not be all 100%.

Update - Actually I am the last one to make a change to my surprise.  I have merged some pull requests in recent history.

So this is more of a history lesson perhaps than a statement of reality.

The library used to support the compact and desktop frameworks.  Some tweaks for mono exist and others have used it with linux ok.

This was all handled by conditionals which relatively simple if not 100% smooth.

The compact framework fell behind in features and some were dropped as development moved along.  I dont think its big issue.

Originally it was developed using sharpdevelop as the IDE hence some old stuff might still lurk.  More recently sharpdevelop moved to be  closer aligned to visual studio in terms of project files and the project shifted with that also.

Solutions were created for different version of visual studio to keep things simple for users.

Repository was self hosted using SVN early on but shifted to Github eventually.

The core is ZIP file handling and this is a little tricky as there is no real standard and many archivers do things slightly differently generating what should be invalid archives which most libraries try to cater for making the code a little weird to read if you know what should be going on.

The standard as such is maintained by PKWare which is a warped effort given they want to keep things in their court but the format was made public / open domain by the creator.  If you read it you will see that although some stuff is documented touch it not or the lawyers will come visiting!

A guy called Phil Katz cooked it up amidst a flurry of controvesy and lawyers which the new .ZIP format was intended to avoid.  The ZIP file format was made public domain which is why PKWARE have to dance around the issue of features and format a little.

The format is documented at https://www.pkware.com/support/zip-app-note/ as at 2016-April-01.  There are other versions of this elsewhere which lean to open source and explain more of stuff about variations although being a little dated.  I can hunt that down if needed although google should suffice.

The bottom line is that there is a guide more than a standard as there are enough variations and proprietary "extensions" to make it a little tricky to handle arbitrary files with the extension .ZIP.  The format has moved over time as well which means the code must cope  with a bunch of variations regardless.

Some of the variants in compression forms supported are historical and many libraries include SharpZip only cater for a few of the variants.

More to come if I get a spare moment.  A bit on how the code works and Ive said far too much I suspect :-)

• 07-05-2017 11:18 PM In reply to

Neil, did you take this on?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)