SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Version 5 VB Support

Last post 12-03-2016 10:02 PM by DanielGrunwald. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2016 6:51 AM

• AgentK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2016
    • Posts 3

Version 5 VB Support

Sorry if this has been answered before, I cant find the answer any such way.

Will version 5 gain VB language support ?

• 02-06-2016 3:38 AM In reply to

• AgentK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2016
    • Posts 3

Re: Version 5 VB Support

anyone anyone?

• 02-07-2016 1:32 PM In reply to

• AgentK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2016
    • Posts 3

its a shame sharpdevelop seems mostly dead. I like how lightweight it is, but I see little point in continuing to use it going into version 5 if it wont support VB.

Oh well, back to vs community.

• 03-29-2016 1:44 AM In reply to

I know what you mean, but you have to understand the trend.

Since the open sourcing of Roslyn and the availability of a free (non-paid) Visual Studio edition that has support for extensions, the demand for an alternative, free .NET IDE on Windows has kind of vanished. That being sad, there's also no real point in continuing the development of a competing analysis/refactoring library (speaking of NRefactory here) because it's a pretty complex piece of software that requires a constant effort in maintainance and enhancement since both languages, C# and VB, are further evolving.

SharpDevelop would require a fundamental change - again - to keep up with the competition: The replacement of NRefactory with Roslyn. I think this would be a necessity because right now, NRefactory hasn't support for C# 6 features, and no VB support at all. Using Roslyn would make those available almost for free, plus support for code fixes/diagnostics. And there would be more time to improve other aspects of the IDE.

Another point I can think of is that the main developers of the past years seem to have less time to (and maybe less interest in) contributing so much of their time to this project. Therefore, unless someone is willing to seriously spend some time on it right now, I don't see this project going anywhere.

But, again, the thing is: There is nothing in SharpDevelop that I can't do with Visual Studio, and if there is something missing, you could just write a VSIX as well (for example, I just build a prototype of a semantic formatter that kind of resembles the behavior of SharpDevelop, with italicized field identifiers, etc. because that's something I actually miss in VS) Sure, SharpDevelop is more lightweight, but memory consumption of Visual Studio is not so much the problem, especially if you're not using any heavy-weight VSIXs.

• 03-29-2016 10:08 AM In reply to

As a long-time team member, I want to add that we had in our (long, 15 years+) history already long-ish periods of near inactivity. A project with no paid developers - that does happen, time is a constraint.

With regards to all the projects (Roslyn eg) happening in our ecosystem: aside from the free VS "proper" editions, there is VS Code these days, as well as the now Microsoft-acquired MonoDevelop/XS (we hope to find out at //build tomorrow how this will pan out for us).

You have seen us shift to smaller units of development as well as deployment (AvalonEdit NuGet, WPF Designer et al). But even for those, it is hard to find contributors.

Chris

• 11-07-2016 9:34 AM In reply to

• cdrcools
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2016
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 1

Why not just patch #Develop with RefactoringEssentials?

It has the up to date VB Parser and refactoring code, if i had the experience i would do it myself but i am self-taught

for someone with the experience it should be relatively easy.

• 12-03-2016 10:02 PM In reply to

Unfortunately it is not easy. There's tons of code in SharpDevelop that uses NRefactory, and it all would have to be adjusted/rewritten to use Roslyn instead.

I would estimate that the move from NRefactory to Roslyn would take a full-time developer several months. (assuming the developer is already experienced with SharpDevelop!)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)