SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Using SharpDevelop for professional projects

Last post 08-09-2011 6:21 PM by DanielGrunwald. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-08-2011 5:38 PM

• Rohit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-24-2010
    • India
    • Posts 6

Using SharpDevelop for professional projects

What type of license SharpDevelop supports? Can it be used to write closed-source professional applications and how mature it is for professional projects?S

• 08-09-2011 12:29 PM In reply to

Re: Using SharpDevelop for professional projects

The SharpDevelop license is LGPL, but that only applies to redistributing SharpDevelop or its components (e.g. our text editor or C# parser).

There are no restrictions on the use of SharpDevelop.

We use SharpDevelop to work on SharpDevelop, so it can certainly handle large projects. C# code editing is rock solid in my experience; but some of the newer or rarely-used features (WPF designer, Class Diagrams) not so much.

And we are currently lacking in the web development area - no code completion in .aspx files, no JavaScript completion, ...

• 08-09-2011 5:12 PM In reply to

• Rohit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-24-2010
    • India
    • Posts 6

Hi Daniel,

It is an awesome open source project and I want to be a part of the community, from adding code, documentation to donation. I am a new-comer though.

For Windows based stand-alone apps.:

•  What features of SharpDevelop sets it aside when compared to Visual Studio?
    • Does it support any MVC or MVP framework for WinForms apps.? If not, is it possible to integrate other frameworks like Spring or MVC# into it? 
    • Does it include Native generator like NGen?

• 08-09-2011 6:21 PM In reply to

SharpDevelop is just the IDE; it is using the normal .NET Framework with the Microsoft tools (MSBuild).

Here's an (outdated) feature comparison: http://community.sharpdevelop.net/blogs/mattward/articles/VisualStudioExpressComparison.aspx

I don't have any experience with Spring/MVC#, but they should work - you can add references to any .NET assemblies. Starting with SharpDevelop 4.1, there is integrated NuGet support.

As for WinForms, most custom controls work fine in design mode, but some controls try to interact with Visual Studio and will crash in SharpDevelop.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)