SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Resgen error using SharpDevelop 4.0 (.NET 4.0) on Vista SP 2

Last post 04-10-2013 10:42 PM by BloodyRain2k. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-08-2011 12:49 AM

• tgbaca
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-07-2011
    • Posts 1

Resgen error using SharpDevelop 4.0 (.NET 4.0) on Vista SP 2

I am using version 4.0 of SharpDevelop, along with .NET Framework 4.0 and running on Vista with SP 2, and I get the following error on a project I created:

Task failed because "resgen.exe" was not found, or the correct Microsoft Windows SDK is not installed. The task is looking for "resgen.exe" in the "bin" subdirectory beneath the location specified in the InstallationFolder value of the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A. You may be able to solve the problem by doing one of the following:  1) Install the Microsoft Windows SDK.  2) Install Visual Studio 2010.  3) Manually set the above registry key to the correct location.  4) Pass the correct location into the "ToolPath" parameter of the task. (MSB3091)

Any ideas on how to proceed?  

• 04-15-2012 2:23 PM In reply to

Re: Resgen error using SharpDevelop 4.0 (.NET 4.0) on Vista SP 2

I was getting this error while trying to build a C# windows app. I think it was because the project was using .net 2.0 but C# 4.0. I suggest going into tools menu -> project upgrade and making sure that the compiler version and target framework version are the same. In my case, I changed the compiler version to C# 2.0 and the error went away.

Hope this helps.

My version info:

SharpDevelop Version : 4.1.0.8000-736b5b66
    .NET Version         : 4.0.30319.261
    OS Version           : Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    Current culture      : English (United Kingdom) (en-GB)
    Running under WOW6432, processor architecture: x86-64
    Working Set Memory   : 242056kb
    GC Heap Memory       : 63810kb

Filed under: ,
  • 03-05-2013 8:27 PM In reply to

Thanks sbridewell!

I am using SharpDevelop 4.3 on Windows XP 64 bit and this solved the problem.

SharpDevelop Version : 4.3.0.9390-e0365b10
    .NET Version         : 4.0.30319.296
    OS Version           : Microsoft Windows NT 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2
    Current culture      : English (United States) (en-US)

• 04-10-2013 10:42 PM In reply to

I'm having a different problem with this one:

Fehler bei der Aufgabe. "resgen.exe" wurde nicht gefunden, oder das korrekte Microsoft Windows SDK ist nicht installiert. Die Aufgabe sucht im Unterverzeichnis "bin" des im Wert "InstallationFolder" des Registrierungsschlüssels "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\WinSDK-NetFx35Tools-x86" angegebenen Speicherorts nach "resgen.exe". Das Problem lässt sich möglicherweise wie folgt beheben: 1) Installieren Sie das Microsoft Windows SDK. 2) Installieren Sie Visual Studio 2010. 3) Legen Sie den obigen Registrierungsschlüssel manuell auf den korrekten Speicherort fest. 4) Übergeben Sie den korrekten Speicherort in den ToolPath-Parameter der Aufgabe. (MSB3091)

Despite my error being in german, the problem is that I've set said registry key to a directory that contains the "bin" folder which contains the "resgen.exe". It still throws that at me.

My "InstallationFolder" key is set to "D:\Coding\SharpDevelop\Tools" and the "resgen.exe" is at "D:\Coding\SharpDevelop\Tools\bin esgen.exe" so it should find the "bin" folder and the exe.

I also can't really try suggestion 1 because for mysterious reasons the SDK isn't installable on this machine, it always fails and tells me to look in a help file that doesn't exist. Letting aside that I don't fancy having to install 800 MB of SDK just for ONE file...

I don't wanna go for suggestion 2 as what's the point of using SharpDevelop in the first place then, might aswell just use VS then...

I did suggestion 3, obviously without success.

I can't try out suggestion 4 since I have no idea how'd I do that.

This all happens when I try to compile a dll that's targeted for .Net 3.5 and compiled with C# 5.0 (since I updated .Net to 4.5 I lost 4.0 and got 5.0 instead...) and I can't compile it with .Net 3.0 because there are a few dozen functions with optional parameters that'd need to get overloaded versions made just because parameter defaults weren't allowed in .Net 3.0.

So if anyone could help me get this working somehow I'd be very glad.

SharpDevelop Version : 4.3.0.9390-e0365b10
    .NET Version         : 4.0.30319.17929
    OS Version           : Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    Current culture      : German (Germany) (de-DE)
    Current UI language  : en
    Working Set Memory   : 205760kb
    GC Heap Memory       : 27815kb

PS: ctrl-a doesn't work in the about info field with this information, but atleast right-click "select all" does.

Also it's not possible to combine \ and r as it converts that to some special char, which is why it shows "\bin esgen.exe" above. Escaping doesn't seem to work either, then it becomes "\bin\ esgen.exe".

Edit: never mind, I just realized (yeah it took quite a while) that it's a bug in MSBuild itself, duh. Damn it.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)