announced in the forums that the
build server is now up
and running for SharpDevelop 2.1. This includes a new installer for
SharpDevelop using WiX
rather than NSIS. If
there are any problems with this installer please report them in
The installer is now an MSI file and not an executable as it was
previously. To install, download the MSI file and then double click
it to install, or right click the file and select
If you install under an account with Administrator privileges
SharpDevelop will be installed for All Users.
You can install SharpDevelop under a non-privileged account,
however the following things will not be done:
- NGen is not run on SharpDevelop.exe.
- NUnit is not installed in the GAC. Without this
the Unit Testing window cannot be used.
Open the Control Panel.
Select Add or Remove Programs.
Select SharpDevelop 2.1.
Click the Remove button.
The new installer now supports upgrades and will upgrade an old SharpDevelop 2.1 if it finds one. To upgrade simply run the new installer without uninstalling the previous version of SharpDevelop.
You cannot install an older version over the top of an existing
installation (i.e. downgrade).
You can install SharpDevelop 2 alongside SharpDevelop 2.1.
What does the Installer do?
- Installs the SharpDevelop files.
- Adds a desktop shortcut to the SharpDevelop executable.
- Adds program menu shortcuts for SharpDevelop and a link to
the SharpDevelop website.
- NGens the SharpDevelop executable (Admin only).
- Installs NUnit into the GAC (Admin only).
Registers file associations for:
The following improvements should hopefully be added to the
installer at some point.
- Optional file assocation with SharpDevelop.
- Choose UI language.
- Choose name of program group.
- Option to install source code.
- Check if optional components (e.g. FxCop, NCover) are
installed and advise the user to install them to activate certain
features inside SharpDevelop.